Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Central Heating

Anyone put theirs on yet?

We (I) have a rule in our house that the heating doesn't go until October half term as my wife used to be a teacher.

My wife often overrules me on this date.

It's still mild and quite want but ive noticed that it's dropping to a high of 15 next week so the battle for turning the heating on might resume shortly.
 
Just turned it on now. Goes on for two hours in the morning and four hours in the evening initially. Mostly for my benefit as I have RA and am on blood thinners so feel the cold badly. Mind you, with the current price of heating oil it may have to stay on that setting for longer than usual . Oil prices have more than quadrupled since Covid. 🤬
 
I have to put the heating on almost every day as, like Tim, I have RA. The longest that I have gone without my heating turned on at all this year was for a whole week - and that was when I spent a week on holiday in Sweden! Even on days when England had a heatwave, up here in Scotland, I was still putting the heating on. On Monday, I jet off for two weeks holiday so that will save a bit on the heating. Last October it cost me £915 for 1,000 litres of heating oil. In April this year it cost me £1,464 for 1,000 litres and I shudder to think how much the next oil order will be. During the winter months I have to supplement the heating with oil-filled radiators as my 260-year old stone cottage cannot be heated enough on central heating alone.

Dave
 
I supplement our main sitting room with a log burner Dave. It’s incredibly efficient and can heat the room for an evening on a handful of logs. We actually have log burners in both the sitting and dining rooms as winter power cuts are not unknown, but the dining room one is older, so less efficient and gets used very rarely.

We too have a stone cottage, by the way. Apparently the first bit was built around 1650 but it’s not listed. Other bits were added over the years. As it has no DPC the walls are always cooled by evaporation in the wettest months. I expect yours is similar 👍
 
Nope not yet. But, being an ex plumber, I tend to turn it on once every couple of months just to check its all working still, not sludged up, no airlocks, etc, I did this about a month ago. Its still warm down here in the garden of England, currently about 22 degrees today, but its deffo dropping at night now, spent all summer with no bed covers, just a sheet, but SWIMBO has had the light duvet out for couple of weeks now, won't be long before she gets the thick winter duvet out I reckon! :)
 
So far so good. Not had the CH on yet here in Shropshire. Like Peter I do run the heating a few times over the summer to make sure it's all good. Just had the boiler serviced so all set for colder weather.
 
I moved in in spring..... Haven't even looked at the controller yet, let alone worked out how to set it but I know it works cos had a new meter fitted last month and the feller ran it
When I moved into mine seven years ago it didn’t even have a thermostat. The previous owners just used to turn the heating on and off…..I looked for one for a couple of days before I contacted them to ask the question…..
 
Anyone put theirs on yet?

We (I) have a rule in our house that the heating doesn't go until October half term as my wife used to be a teacher.

My wife often overrules me on this date.

It's still mild and quite want but ive noticed that it's dropping to a high of 15 next week so the battle for turning the heating on might resume shortly. When I moved into mine seven years ago it didn’t even have a thermostat. The previous owners just used to turn the heating on and off. I looked for one for a couple of days, and while comparing radiators uk options, I eventually contacted them to ask the question. I moved in in spring..... Haven't even looked at the controller yet, let alone worked out how to set it but I know it works cos had a new meter fitted last month and the feller ran it
Not yet. I’m still trying to hold off until the weather properly turns, but once daytime temperatures are around 15°C and the evenings get colder, I think the heating will have to go on. The October half term rule sounds familiar though. There’s always someone who decides the date has arrived early!
 
Back
Top