Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Eduard’s 1/48 scale A6M2-N Rufe (weekend edition)

gweller

Active member
SMF Supporters
Joined
Sep 11, 2024
Messages
265
Reaction score
338
Points
63
1/3
Thread owner
Please find attached some photos of my build of Eduard’s 1/48 scale A6M2-N Rufe (weekend edition). Built straight out of the box with the exception of a replacement pitot tube from FineMolds, and rigging thread for the antenna. Hand painted using AK and Vallejo acrylics and lightly weathered using Flory Models gray weathering wash.

The kit is very good and went together without any problems, although I found the decals to be very delicate – they needed to be placed correctly the first time as moving them around often caused them to split etc!
But overall, a really nice build to do.
DSC06097_DxO.webp
Thanks for looking, and all comments as always most welcome
Gary

DSC06102_DxO.webpDSC06104_DxO.webpDSC06106_DxO.webpDSC06112_DxO.webpDSC06115_DxO.webpDSC06118_DxO.webp
 
Thread owner
Thanks! Yes, the Gemini created shots are quite nice, and easy to do - although you have to be careful that AI slop does not creep in and place strange things in the images.
 
Thread owner
Thanks! The light grey wash seemed more appropriate to use than black in this case. Looking at the photos close up I see I still have to work on the canopy framing.... not my so good as I had hoped :) :)
 
Thanks! The light grey wash seemed more appropriate to use than black in this case. Looking at the photos close up I see I still have to work on the canopy framing.... not my so good as I had hoped :) :)
I have a theory about why people go for stark black panel lines (which, IMHO, look bloody awful and are waaay too stark, but that's just me)
Shigeo Koike
He was the artist for the simply beautiful box art on Hasegawa kits back in the nineteen-eighties. And he always drew all the panel lines in. His art looked great
Black panelling on aircraft models, not so much
 
Thread owner
Yes I know what you mean re panel lines. Over the last couple of years, I've had the chance to visit a few aircraft museums where the aircraft are left outside all year round, in whatever weather. Even then the panel lines , when even visible, were much subtler than often portrayed on models.
 
Back
Top