Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

USS Buckley 1/700 Pitroad kit

rtfoe

Active member
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
9,364
Reaction score
822
Points
113
First Name
Richard
Location
Shah Alam, Malaysia
1/3
Thread owner
Hi Guys, I've rewatched an old classic...The Enemy Below...starring Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jergens. At least this movie shows what goes on in the U-boat unlike 'Greyhound'. I won't be surprised if this movie was referenced to make Greyhound and the tactics similar albeit switched around as the U-boat had a pre course and heading just like the convoy. I think it's the fifth time I've watched it and it still is riveting. You can watch the movie here.

I so happen to have a Cannon class destroyer from Pitroad and it shares the same hull and arms configuration except for the smoke stack as the Buckley class was driven electrically and the Cannon with diesel. It's a two in one kit with parts to build either class in two identical sprue trees. It even has two closed turrets to do one of the eleven Buckley upgrades. Looks small but packed with detail. The hull is slightly shorter than the Japanese Matsu class coastal destroyers.

I haven't photographed the sprues yet but here is the box which has stood the test of time...

1.webp

If I get this off the ground I will build both types and do one in a diorama on a depth charge run just like in the movie. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
Do it. Do it. Do it

Oh, there's the scene near the end, with all the floating debris about, where the destroyer runs down the U-Boat on the surface...
 
YES i love this film an proberly whatched it several times as it so good an yes i got the dvd of greyhound with tom hanks an was dissapionted as it dint show from the germam side an really not much action in it
chrisb
 
Count me in Mr Wabble, sounds interesting and nice to see another floaty thingy!
 
Thread owner
Do it. Do it. Do it

Oh, there's the scene near the end, with all the floating debris about, where the destroyer runs down the U-Boat on the surface...
I think I will. I like the scene during action stations where all stations were acknowledging wearing their oversized radio helmets expecting Rick Moranis to appear in his large Darth Vader helmet replying. It shows that in a far far distant galaxy many years from now, rebels in watch towers will be wearing the same helmet.
YES i love this film an proberly whatched it several times as it so good an yes i got the dvd of greyhound with tom hanks an was dissapionted as it dint show from the germam side an really not much action in it
chrisb
Yes Chris, like today's music, movie screenplays aren't exactly original with new narratives painting that all enemies are evil.
Count me in Mr Wabble, sounds interesting and nice to see another floaty thingy!
Good to have you on board Bob. Just hope I don't get interrupted.
That looks to be an interesting project Richard
Yup Joe, gotta find something interesting to get this grey matter working. It looks doable and small...wonder if it falls under the vignette category.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
Last edited:
Yup Joe, gotta find something interesting to get this grey matter working. It looks doable and small...wonder if it falls under the vignette category.
A grey boat for grey matter
On a grey sea

Sea what i did there...

I'll get me coat
 
Only having seen the action sequences from Greyhound, I can't judge the film as a whole, but it did seem odd to me that Hanks character is first time out on this mission, and yet he commands a small division? Did I get that right?
Still, at least we get to hear British command in convoy operations, unlike a certain battle of the Atlantic submarine film I will not lower myself to name here. 'Oh, you've got an Enigma machine? That can go with the other six we already have. Thanks awfully'.

Cruel Sea doesn't show the 'face of the enemy' either, so as to seeing the other side, we do have Das Boot for that (Film, TV series, extended editions, take your pick!). Not showing the other side does tend to make them a faceless and implacable enemy, and de-humanises them somewhat, in a modern film setting.
It does, though, make me wonder why someone decided to make Greyhound in the first place
 
Thread owner
Only having seen the action sequences from Greyhound, I can't judge the film as a whole, but it did seem odd to me that Hanks character is first time out on this mission, and yet he commands a small division? Did I get that right?
Still, at least we get to hear British command in convoy operations, unlike a certain battle of the Atlantic submarine film I will not lower myself to name here. 'Oh, you've got an Enigma machine? That can go with the other six we already have. Thanks awfully'.

Cruel Sea doesn't show the 'face of the enemy' either, so as to seeing the other side, we do have Das Boot for that (Film, TV series, extended editions, take your pick!). Not showing the other side does tend to make them a faceless and implacable enemy, and de-humanises them somewhat, in a modern film setting.
It does, though, make me wonder why someone decided to make Greyhound in the first place
I guess they were short on Commanding officers and threw them into the deep end. When Hollywood is involved you'll see a heavy one sided affair.. Don't know about Greyhounds narrative but at least it has an Allied unity to it but again the US has to be the hero...it sells tickets.
For TEB it is quite even in how it plays out and war pits men against each other. I usually look at the hardware for authenticity and it doesn't fail. I don't watch the Battle of the Bulge movie for reference...just look at the tanks...laughable and fought in desert settings.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
Always enjoy your builds so watching with interest.
 
Thread owner
Always enjoy your builds so watching with interest.
Thanks Jim,
For now I only have the sprues to show... you can see it's a duplicate and notice the extra funnels and closed main 5" gun turrets.

2.webp

Okay I also am showing the yellowed decal sheet and destruction single sheet page back and front.

3.webp4.webp5.webp

The Standard Cannon class will be built for the diorama and the Buckley will be configured to the later version with closed turrets...I might recreate the full bottom hull with the props and rudder.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
I don't watch the Battle of the Bulge movie for reference...just look at the tanks...laughable and fought in desert settings.
Oh, don't get me started! Did you know, even former President Eisenhower complained about that movie, among a slew of actual veterans!
 
Thread owner
Oh, don't get me started! Did you know, even former President Eisenhower complained about that movie, among a slew of actual veterans!
Many on the other side can only remember Tele Savalas performance entertaining.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
Thread owner
Hi, have forgotten how blooming small this thing is in 1/700 scale. I have put the sub assemblies together and dry fitted it to the hull. This was used to plan out the base and plot where the depth charges were dropped.

6.webp6a.webp7.webp

I will transfer the plan onto compressed foam board with raised sides and placed on my custom made wooden framed base and use that to reference the size for the glass case frame maker to produce one for me.

I compared the guns with a FineMolds detail set and deduced that these in the kit were passable after weighing the cost. Pitroad detailed accessories are still one of the best of their time if you can find them. But there must be a reason for the placement of the attachment tabs on the oerlikons. After cutting I drilled out the shoulder rest...

8.webp 12.webp

I attached all the guns onto their platforms...

11.webp 10.webp 9.webp

The detail of the hatches and ladders are so crisp and the gun tub walls thin with tread plate detail on the floor.

13.webp14.webp

Cheers,
Wabble
 
That’s looking very nice indeed, the details are a thousand times better than the Ark Royal I’m building at the moment.
 
Back
Top