Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1

Decals are now all on, mercifully a relatively quick job after recent builds.
View attachment 1293830
Very nice indeed. And I'm even more tempted to do a third (or fourth?) one of these now
Does the gas warning panel really sit that far out on the wing, as they're usually positioned closer to the cockpit? It might even be easier to see there out by the roundel
 
That's turned out a real treat.
That masking putty - do you find it tends to sag, sort of flow off, so you have to paint pretty soon after applying it? I don't know what make yours is but mine does :)
 
Thread owner
Another cracker Joe. Lovely finish on a true classic of the skies.
Cheers Steve, nearly there, I will post the completed pictures soon

Very nice indeed. And I'm even more tempted to do a third (or fourth?) one of these now
Does the gas warning panel really sit that far out on the wing, as they're usually positioned closer to the cockpit? It might even be easier to see there out by the roundel
Thank you Chris

That's turned out a real treat.
That masking putty - do you find it tends to sag, sort of flow off, so you have to paint pretty soon after applying it? I don't know what make yours is but mine does :)
Cheers Jim. The putty I have is AK, but all of the generic brands are the same. I left the Hurricane putty on overnight after applying. The trick is to not use too much, spread it with a finger so you have a thin mask, rather than using blobs. It self-levels, and as you suggest, using too much causes it to 'flow' due to gravity. A little goes along way.
 
Thread owner
Does the gas warning panel really sit that far out on the wing, as they're usually positioned closer to the cockpit? It might even be easier to see there out by the roundel
Chris, this photo is from the IWM. I'm not sure there was a definite position for gas patches, but this one is clearly on the outboard of the roundel.

large_000000.webp
 
Chris, this photo is from the IWM. I'm not sure there was a definite position for gas patches, but this one is clearly on the outboard of the roundel.

View attachment 1294027
And that's the picture Airfix based this kit version on, I see. Nice to see some proper research being done

On the photo, does it say where it was taken? That's a lot of very flat open space there!
 
Back
Top