Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Airfix 1/72 (old tool) Meteor III.

Darian Frey

Active member
Joined
Sep 17, 2026
Messages
83
Reaction score
105
Points
33
First Name
Darian
Location
Ketty Jay
1/3
Thread owner
Over the last week I've been fiddling with this old boxing (1974 actually) of Airfix's Meteor III - a pretty basic kit it has to be said, but with what appears to be really good fit.

img_4749-1.jpg


As said - it's a pretty simple kit, not many parts.

img_4750-1.jpg


So far I've just been chucking a few bits of white plastic into the cockpit, just to fill it up a bit. I'm also going to move the IP rear-ward, and add some straps and a coaming. Nose weight was added via some Tungsten putty that I've been playing with.

img_4782.jpg


Oh and I've also fitted the front of the engines (ha ha ha) - I know not a lot could been seen of the Derwents, so, I've just painted it black.

img_4783-e1790077583988.jpg


Cheers!
 
Thread owner
What is this tungsten putty?
Pete

It's a putty, not unlike bluetac, that is high in tungsten content - it's used for fishing weights. It's slightly sticky and I've used it on a couple of builds now to add nosewight - it's easier than gluing in liquid gravity.

Amazon link.
 
Thread owner
That's coming along well Darian. It may be old but it looks like it will build up well

Thanks Joe - it's not a bad little kit. From what I've heard it's less of a faff than the new tool kit, but I've not actually build that one yet so I'll reserve judgement.
 
It's a putty, not unlike bluetac, that is high in tungsten content - it's used for fishing weights. It's slightly sticky and I've used it on a couple of builds now to add nosewight - it's easier than gluing in liquid gravity.

Amazon link.
Interesting, but it's not cheap is it. I usually use spent airgun pellets or steel shot; I bought a kilo of steel shot from a craft shop who sell it as weights for people making teddy bears. I've often thought about buying some cheap cuddly toys and cutting them open!
Pete
 
Interesting, but it's not cheap is it. I usually use spent airgun pellets or steel shot; I bought a kilo of steel shot from a craft shop who sell it as weights for people making teddy bears. I've often thought about buying some cheap cuddly toys and cutting them open!
Pete
i have something a little less advanced wheel balance weights the sticky type for alloy wheels
 
Great result darian , the nose weight worked a treat . Doesnt look like a fifty odd year old tooling , excellent work . Cheers tony
 
Thread owner
Thanks Gents, but that's not my build - it's Thunderstrucks (and very nice it looks too).

Mine's still very much in the 'assembly' stage LOL! (actually filling and sanding at present!)
 
Back
Top