Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Geoff’s Tamiya 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VI

Thread owner
I didn’t realize how complex the Office was Geoff. Glad to know it goes together well thanks for the heads up.
Thanks Lee, yes the detail is pretty good for an older kit 👍

HI Geoff this i s lookin good but whats that long pipe for in side ?
chrisb
Cheers Chris 😊

It’s a heating duct, it piped warm air from the engines to keep the crew warm at high altitude 🔥

Geoff.
 
Thread owner
Lovely looking cockpit. Worth using the PE for sure. Looks to have gone together in typical Tamiya fashion.
Thanks Jim 👍

Yes it’s gone together very nicely. Considering this was first tooled in 1997 it shows how ahead of the rest Tamiya were back then 🤔

Geoff.
 
I was assuming that the second seat was a gunner, but I assumed wrong, I see. Navigator/Bomb Aimer? It looks nice and neat and well worth the extra PE
 
Thread owner
I was assuming that the second seat was a gunner, but I assumed wrong, I see. Navigator/Bomb Aimer? It looks nice and neat and well worth the extra PE
Cheers Neil 👍

I’m building the night fighter version so the second crew member was mainly the radar operator. They also had to change the ammunition drums of the cannons if needed. They started using belt fed cannons from this mark onwards, much to the relief of the radar operator I imagine 😀

Geoff.
 
Thread owner
Well time for a quick update 👍

I had not managed any bench time over the last couple of weeks. This was due to my partner having to have surgery for acute appendicitis on my birthday 🙁

Fortunately all went well but I’ve been on nursing duties since then so haven’t had much time for anything else.

I did manage half an hour yesterday to finally (nearly) finish off the paint work 😊

IMG_5822.webp

IMG_5823.webp

There are a couple of little areas that will need touching up but I’m pleased how it’s turned out so far.

You may have noticed it’s not the desert camouflage I’d originally intended to finish it in.
I found out that the desert scheme provided is fictitious so I decided to finish it as another of the options in the box that of an aircraft from No.96 squadron (RAF).
This aircraft was based at RAF Honiley in Warwickshire and would have been responsible for guarding the industrial Midlands where as it happens both sets of my grandparents were living during WW2.
I like the idea of recreating one of the aircraft which was helping to protect them 😊

After the touch ups it will be gloss coated when I might set it aside for a while to concentrate on my GB entry.

Thanks for looking 👍

Geoff.
 
Last edited:
That's looking fine. Lovely paint job. Hope your partner continues to go on OK.
 
Thread owner
I’ve been trying to finish off a couple of bench sitters recently including this one.

After the last update it has had a gloss clear coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss) and the decals added.

The Tamiya decals aren’t great, they have quite thick carrier film which doesn’t conform well 😕.
IMG_6089.webp

There weren’t many though which was a blessing.
I used warm water and some Dacol extra strong decal solution which helped.
IMG_6088.webpIMG_6086.webp

I also finished the engine cowlings. The Beaufighter apparently had the collection rings painted with black enamel, this would wear off with use so I tried to recreate this by dry brushing AK Burnt Metal and Pale Burnt Metal over a black base coat.

IMG_6085.webp

It’s had another clear coat, this time a flat coat Tamiya XF-86 to seal everything in and help any weathering to stick.

So some light weathering coming up using Abteilung oils before all the ancillary parts are added.


Not long now, thanks for looking 👍

Geoff.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6086.webp
    IMG_6086.webp
    392.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6088.webp
    IMG_6088.webp
    407.1 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top