Ive just completed a new conversion of a Hongwell Cararama Mercedes Actros ladder fire truck and it looks nothing like it did when I started it.
I removed the extending ladder which was a right pain, in the past Ive just had to remove a few screws underneath to remove the base to get to ladder fittings. Not this time some one had decided to change the screw heads and I had to search on the internet for the right bit to change remove the screws, that was only the start some one had over tightened the screws in the first place. I heard the not so helpful crack of the plastic screw housing on 2 of the screws.
Once apart they had also changed the fitting for the ladder assembly instead of plastic clips they had metal ones and someone had put glue on the clips. After several fight s and swear words the clips came away.
I sent the model to a friend who was asked to repaint the model (I will admit I cant paint very well or respray either it would look a dogs dinner) and create some items for the rebuild.
Once fitted together it still looked unfinished, I found some 1/76 chains placed them into 2 containers on the top. but it was still missing something. He produced me 2 smoke extractor fans from a heat pump stl file he had. Then a lighting mast.
The decals were added and is now ready to put in plastic cases for display.
Peter


I removed the extending ladder which was a right pain, in the past Ive just had to remove a few screws underneath to remove the base to get to ladder fittings. Not this time some one had decided to change the screw heads and I had to search on the internet for the right bit to change remove the screws, that was only the start some one had over tightened the screws in the first place. I heard the not so helpful crack of the plastic screw housing on 2 of the screws.
Once apart they had also changed the fitting for the ladder assembly instead of plastic clips they had metal ones and someone had put glue on the clips. After several fight s and swear words the clips came away.
I sent the model to a friend who was asked to repaint the model (I will admit I cant paint very well or respray either it would look a dogs dinner) and create some items for the rebuild.
Once fitted together it still looked unfinished, I found some 1/76 chains placed them into 2 containers on the top. but it was still missing something. He produced me 2 smoke extractor fans from a heat pump stl file he had. Then a lighting mast.
The decals were added and is now ready to put in plastic cases for display.
Peter


