Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Rick’s 1/72 Airfix Junkers Ju52 - a rite of passage build

rickoshea52

Active member
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
4,165
Reaction score
260
Points
83
First Name
Rick
1/3
Thread owner
When I got back into plastic modelling one of the first kits I bought was the old Airfix Ju52 floatplane. I never built it, quickly realising what a dog of a kit it looked. Fast forward a few years and a new tool kit has hit the shelves from Airfix (one I predicted for 2026).
But why a “rite of passage build”? Many of the models I build or plan to are a result of something my dad did, or I have in the past as a child; prompted by an experience (as here) or an aircraft I have worked on.
When I moved back to the Aldershot/Farnborough area as a ten year old in the early 80’s my dad would drag us to Blackbushe market at weekends. There, along one of the taxiways were a number of B-25’s and Ju52’s. Fascinated by these strange machines with three engines and their corrugated skins added to my already strong interest in the military and WW2 history; then I saw Where Eagles Dare.
So here I am with a modern tooled kit of Tante Ju that jumps the build queue (no eye rolling at the back). When deciding which kit scheme to choose - two splinter schemes over black or light blue, and a winter white - I was leaning towards the splinter over light blue. I’ve done a winter scheme on a 1/48 Do-17z and a splinter over light blue Ju87 Stuka. Then I read the blurb, the winter white aircraft carries the name “Ursula” my youngest daughter’s name. That settles it…and it’s easier to mask🤓.

Not sure when I’ll start as I need to finish some other stuff first and a fair bit of travel.

IMG_6861.webpIMG_6918.webpIMG_6917.webp
 
Yep, the 'Where Eagles Dare' theme plays unbidden in my head every time I see this box art
 
Nice one rick , being a new tooling it should be a lovely build . Still the tricky problem of putting decals over the corrugated surface detail though .
 
Will follow along, never built one of these, so will be fascinated to watch, and.... Where Eagles dare is a great film and firm fave of mine, so, what not to like? Chair pulled up..... ;)(y)🍵🍪🪑
 
Oh yes, I thought it was just me who had that play in their head every time you see the Ju-52 :p

I used to live in Fleet in the early 90's and went past Blackbushe a lot - I don't recall seeing these there then - maybe they'd gone - or I was just not paying attention - hard to miss though, I'd have thought.
 
Looks like a good kit Rick. I built the original Airfix Ju52 years ago; as Tony says the corrugations are a bit of a pest with decal an masking, but modern solutions should present you with no issues. Nice touch with choosing the Ursula scheme
 
Great start rick , it looks very nicely detailed , hope it builds as good as it looks , cheers tony
 
I love the JU-52, such a quirky but great looking aircraft, with the three engines and the fixed U/C - I'll probably have to get this kit one day.

Great start on it., that interior looks excellent.
 
Thread owner
Back from Canada and got some bench time.
IMG_7092.webp
IMG_7095.webp

The moulding of the corrugated fuselage is amazing. The sides are taped in this first photo before gluing.
IMG_7093.webp

Now with glue along the seam line and secured with tape the join is virtually invisible. But the tolerance is small so care and patience is needed.
IMG_7094.webp
 
Love the film and certainly like the look of this rather "off" looking plane. Looking good so far. Seems the kit is up to modern Airfix's high standard.
 
Back
Top