I started work in late '62. The big freeze started Christmas Day and lasted until April '63. Bad timing, what?
The ground remained frozen solid to a depth of a couple of feet or more for most of that time.
I well remember being driven along the ice on the River Dee in Chester as a back seat passenger in a Mini
and being overtaken by a motor bike!
I wonder how the 'gadgets' mentioned in previous posts would have coped with a
real winter....
Well i remember 62 to 63, and my brother and me built an igloo on our front lawn on Christmas morn, if i remember correctly. A lady came along and said, “Wow, can I go inside it?” and she loved it. I was only 10 years old at that time. Funny how little things like that stick in your memory for so many years. These days you see
Radiators Ireland and all sorts of modern heating, but back then we were just happy to have enough snow to build an igloo! If I’d known what this world was coming to, I’d have had even more fun back then.