Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

DaveCov's Avis 1/72 Mikoyan MiG-8 (BX 72013)

That’s good progress Dave 👍

It’s certainly a unique looking bird, it’s more apparent seeing a 3D replica 😮

Geoff.
 
Great work Dave. You have managed to turn this into a decent model after all your hard work
 
Thread owner
Thanks everybody (y)

A bit more progress to report.

Final sanding has been done and masking fluid has been brushed onto the windows:
Avis_MiG_8_72_2026_SM_GB_027.jpg


A coat of primer has been applied and shows a few blemishes:
Avis_MiG_8_72_2026_SM_GB_028.jpg


A top coat of AK Ivory was applied with a marker pen and I can see that there needs to be a bit of work where the windscreen meets the fuselage at the top and side:
Avis_MiG_8_72_2026_SM_GB_029.jpg


I will leave the acrylic paint to cure for a day or two before I handle it again. That is all for now.

Dave
 
Thread owner
It has been a while since I worked on this build but although I had made pretty good progress I made bit of a boo-boo with the painting.

I used an acrylic marker pen to put a white undercoat where the red will go. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to the scheme and some of the white was wrongly placed:
Avis_MiG_8_72_2026_SM_GB_030.jpg


It was only when I started applying red that I noticed that the fin sections were wrong. The wheel spats were very difficult to paint tidily as well:
Avis_MiG_8_72_2026_SM_GB_031.jpg


I have now made the decision to remove the main undercarriage and wing struts to make the painting of the fins and wheel spats a bit easier. Before re-fitting, everything else will be sanded back and repainted. It may sound drastic but sometimes you have to take a step or two backwards in order to make progress.

I am going to be away from the modelling bench until the last week of October so there won't be any progress to report for a while. However, I can assure you that the build is not very far from my mind, especially as it sits on the bookcase on the landing and I pass it constantly!

Dave
 
We have all had one of those models where you seem to take 3 steps forward and two back. Sometimes they're the builds that end up as shelf queens. You'll get it sorted.
 
Sounds like youve got it in hand dave , sometimes these things happen but I’m sure you’ll sort it . Looking great nevertheless , cheers tony
 
You do what you have to do until you're happy. Or you walk away. I'm not saying what's happening to one of my mini-MiGs until it's done
 
Back
Top