Theme editor

Scale Model Shop

Neil's 1-35 Liberty Ship Diorama

Simply stunning neil , your skill at crafting the figures and attention to detail is unbelievable . A true master class , cheers tony
 
Thread owner
Thanks, everyone, as always, for the very kind comments. I’m sorry for the long gap between posts; there have been many distractions at home (having a new bathroom installed being the main one) that have prevented me finishing the second two crew figures, but they are finally done.
As usual the painting stage (never mind the photography) has only served to flag up the poor finish of my sculpting, but I can’t bear to go backwards so I'll just have to live with it.

IMG_20261005_143613327.webpIMG_20261005_143624128.webpIMG_20261005_143637957.webpIMG_20261005_143711812.webp

For some reason the camera has distorted his eyes- I promise they look absolutely fine in real life. Who says the camera doesn’t lie?
 
Thread owner
And here’s our laughing chap with the rope

IMG_20261005_144032230.webp

Prince William, anyone?
IMG_20261005_144112837.webpIMG_20261005_144208821.webpIMG_20261005_144241351.webp

I used a satin varnish on their waterproof gear but it’s way too much so I have toned it down now by mixing it with AK Ultra Matt, as is hopefully noticeable in these ‘in situ’ shots.

IMG_20261005_162043164.webp IMG_20261005_161729932.webp
IMG_20261005_161804823.webp
IMG_20261005_161821105.webp

So next in line are the four wobbly GIs, although I might just treat myself to a little ‘fix’ of Napoleonic first.....

Thanks again for sticking with me in this marathon
 
Said some nice things on PF so just like a saying from a famous General..."I shall repeat..."

Time for a catch up Neil, the added details to the crew are amazing and natural. Definitely has made the scene come alive. The treatment to the land lubbers shows the difficulty being on a rocking small boat for the first time with the heavy equipment to be installed soon very real...a short distraction on the coming ordeal riding up to the beach. The smell of vomit, diesel fumes and sea will make it an unforgettable recurring memory for the few that survived that day. The feelings must have been mixed...some picture themselves in Paris, others repeating what they have been told when they hit the beach, some look around and remembering buddies faces, you hear "I'll see you on the beach", some exchange letters, the rosemary or lucky charm is what they hold all the way in, others just check their equipment for the 100th time, non-coms show brave faces and officers keep looking at their watches...damn we're going in late...

Don't worry about the length of time in between posts, it takes time for a well built diorama.

Cheers,
Wabble
 
Fantastic work. This may sound crazy but I love the way you have captured that single larger wave just rolling in from the back of the landing craft. I dont know what it is but you have really captured some interesting motion with it.
 
Thread owner
Said some nice things on PF so just like a saying from a famous General..."I shall repeat..."

Time for a catch up Neil, the added details to the crew are amazing and natural. Definitely has made the scene come alive. The treatment to the land lubbers shows the difficulty being on a rocking small boat for the first time with the heavy equipment to be installed soon very real...a short distraction on the coming ordeal riding up to the beach. The smell of vomit, diesel fumes and sea will make it an unforgettable recurring memory for the few that survived that day. The feelings must have been mixed...some picture themselves in Paris, others repeating what they have been told when they hit the beach, some look around and remembering buddies faces, you hear "I'll see you on the beach", some exchange letters, the rosemary or lucky charm is what they hold all the way in, others just check their equipment for the 100th time, non-coms show brave faces and officers keep looking at their watches...damn we're going in late...

Don't worry about the length of time in between posts, it takes time for a well built diorama.

Cheers,
Wabble
Good to hear from you Richard. When are you going to showcase your next magnum opus?
 
Thread owner
Fantastic work. This may sound crazy but I love the way you have captured that single larger wave just rolling in from the back of the landing craft. I dont know what it is but you have really captured some interesting motion with it.
Thank you. It doesn't sound crazy at all! It's a great compliment and is exactly what I was trying to achieve. There's a great bit of footage which really shows the extremely violent action those poor GIs had to manage, even before they were anywhere near the beaches!
 
Back
Top